[article from NWGA Historical Quarterly]
Aragon is located in the foothills of Northwest Georgia which is in the East Polk county area. In the 1800’s this area was filled with beautiful trees and a big spring of free flowing pure water. During the civil war this spring was known as the “Peek” spring. Sometime after the close of the civil war, Mr. O.D. Waddell bought this property and the spring was called the “Waddell” spring.
In 1899, Walcott and Campbell Spinning Co from New York was searching for a place to build a spinning mill. They thought this area was ideal for the mill, so they bought the property and built the mill near the spring. In 1900 operations were begun. People came from far and near looking for work and the company grew. They built houses for their employees, opened a company store and secured a Post Office. The story is that Aragon was named for a well known New York hotel.
In the early 1900’s A.D. Julliard & Co. acquired controlling interest in the mill and it enjoyed many years of prosperity. The following men played a big part in the success of the mill: Mr. Conn, Mr. Pierce, P.A. Redmond, Burkhalter, J.C. Platt, Carol Townes and many others.
Religious Services for all Faiths were held in a room over the company store. This room was also used for the Masons and Oddfellow orders. The Baptist church was built first and the first pastor was Rev. Allen Young followed by Rev. Jack Davis, Rev. Rowe, Augustus Smith, Rev. Kelley, Rev. O.E. Rutland, Rev. S.H. Pendley. The grammar school was built on a hill near the village and there were many dedicated teachers: Miss Myrtle Cummings, Miss Lynn Wingard, Mrs. Sam DeVitte, Miss Fannie Bulloch, Miss Maude DaVitte, Miss Iva Cox, Miss Patty Casey. The Methodist church was built near the school house, Rev Turner was one of the first pastors.
These were proud people, they loved their churches, their school and each other. Here is a short list of names who have helped to make Aragon and Polk county a better place to live. Most of these names will be familiar for there are many descendants still found in the churches, schools and public offices: A.C. Auchmuty, Henry Bishop, Michael James, Jim Elliott, J.L. Moore, Tom and Sam Williams, Tom Adams, Rhodes, Lawsons, Blacks, Huckaby Davis’, Townes, Brumbelows, Burnleys, Tinsleys, LeMasters, Gaines, Gurleys, Wingards, Phillips, Moss’, DeVitte (The Masonic Lodge was named for Mr DeVitte.)