by Mrs. Louise Houseal Parks
In October 1923 several women met and organized a club known as the Music Lover’s Club, the purpose to further musical interest through the cultural arts. Two meetings were held each month; one to present programs, the other a choral practice. Mrs. Frank Browne was the first president and charter members were:
Mrs. H. A. Edwards
Mrs. Darden Borders
Mrs. Wesley Cone
Mrs. P. W. Hunt
Miss Martha Stubbs
Miss Madge Stubbs
Mrs. J. E. Haile
Miss Myrta Dodds
Mrs. Sam Good
Mrs. Graham Norman
Mrs. R. B. Parks
Mrs. W. A. Chapman
Mrs. C. W. Bolton
Mrs. George Vance
Through the club Cedartown has enjoyed notable artists from New York City, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta and Birmingham, has presented in recital the Sewanee Glee Club, Apollo Boys Choir, Shorter College faculty and the Young Artists Club of Atlanta.
In 1924 we joined the state and national federation – also organized a Junior club with a thirty-piece orchestra with Miss Mary Jarman as director. The Junior clubs have always been under the leadership of the adult club. Mrs. Gertrude Falte and Miss Helen Purks have served faithfully as leaders of these clubs.
The Music Lover’s have presented programs for High School chapel, Kiwanis, Exchange, P.T.A., Harpst Home and Battey General Hospital. Our young artists have broadcast over W.S.B., W.R.G.A. and W.G.A.A., and received awards at district and state conventions. Music Week each year has been featured with concerts, community sings and a sacred concert at Christmas and Easter at one of the city churches.
During 1939, with Mrs. Blake Dunson as president, a movement was started to secure a piano for the Federated Woman’s Building. This was backed by other clubs in the Federation and a new Steinway was purchased. Two brilliant artists, Grace Moore and Josef Hoffman, have inscribed their autographs inside.
The club honors the High School Band each year with a Silver Tea. From the beginning, we have worked to create music appreciation in the city schools, donating victrolas, records and music readers costing $100.00. Also an Encyclopedia of Music and six volumes of American Music costing $150.00. The club contributes each year to student scholarships, McDowell colony, overseas and U.S. Hospitals for G.I.’s.
The past two years we have won state awards for our high rating.
Much of the early history was compiled by Mrs. H. A. Edwards and Mrs. R. B. Parks. Mrs. Ernest Willis, Mrs. George Vance and Mrs. J. U. Jackson are on the Community Concert Board and work hard each year to bring this to Cedartown.
In 1948, Mrs. James Harpe, president, an elaborate fete was put on at the High School football field before 3,000 spectators.
Our new president is Mrs. Francis Hartford.
President, Mrs. S. M. Carden
Vice President, Mrs. W. J. Barr
Secretary, Mrs. Abner Hogg
Treasurer, Mrs. Margaret Post
Historian, Miss Patricia Davis
Leaders of the Music Minors, Miss Sadie Salley and Miss Edna Turner
Leaders of Melody Makers, Mrs. Fletcher Andrews